Friday, May 10, 2013

The Making of Creme Caramel

Hi everyone,


Today I will like to share with you on my experience of making Creme Caramel. This is my family member's favorite dessert and they always request me to bake it. At first, I find that it is very hard to prepare the caramel as the caramel harden soon after you remove it from the heat. Slowly, I tend to understand better. You have to move fast and don't use any spoon to fill the ramekin. On my first try, I actually use a metal spoon to scoop the caramel to the ramekin. Ended up all the caramel harden on the spoon. Then, I have to remake the caramel.


I feel that the recipes are pretty basic which are heavy cream, milk, egg yolk and sugar. Not to forget, vanilla essence too. Most of the baker will recommend using vanilla pod which will bring better flavour to the custard. As you all know, vanilla pods are pretty expensive. In my place, they are selling two pods at 20 over Ringgit Malaysia which is very expensive. Therefore, I opt for the commonly use vanilla essence.

Here is the recipe I use for this time adapted from finecooking.com:


For filling:

1 cup Heavy Cream
1/2 cup Milk
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/3 cup sugar
2 medium Egg Yolks
Tiny pinch of salt

For caramel:
1/2 cup sugar
Water

Firstly, I put the sugar and water in a sauce pan to make the caramel. I boil the sugar n water with medium heat till amber colour. Then remove from heat and pour into the ramekins immediately. Set aside to cool slightly.

Then I started with the custard. I place the milk and the cream in a saucepan and bring it to a slight boil. Meanwhile, I beat the egg and sugar together in a clean bowl. Lastly, I slowly pour the cream and milk to the egg mixture and stir it gradually to prevent curdling the egg yolk.  I run it through a fine sift before filling the ramekin. 

I have preheated the oven to 160 degree C. Then the custard was baked in a water-bath for about 30 minutes. I have tested the custard by inserting a toothpick in the centre. The toothpick hold still indicated that the custard is well baked. I have left it on the counter to cool completely, then it was refrigerated overnight. When serving, I dip it in hot water for about a minutes. Then I take a small knife and run on the side to loosen the custard from the ramekins.

I have another version of the creme caramel where it is not as creamy as this one. Will share it with you all when I am baking it next time.

So, that it is for this time. Thanks for reading!

~ By Nicole with love ~

No comments:

Post a Comment